Fwd: Re[3]: ZSH - UTF-8

Just found out I had only done a reply and not forwarded to the cygwin ml last time. Sorry about that.

This is a forwarded message
From: Paul-Kenji Cahier <pkc@F1-Photo.com>
To: "Peter A. Castro" <doctor@fruitbat.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2008, 3:06:21 PM
Subject: ZSH - UTF-8

>>>??Newlib uses "C-UTF-8", not "C.UTF-8" for some reason.  I don't see that
>>>??newlib understands the dot.  Moreover, Cygwin doesn't support utf-8 yet,
>>>??so you might have strange effects using utf-8 for filenames.

>>>??Corinna

>>?(this time text under quote, didnt know it bothered)

>>?I'm still failing to get zsh working with utf-8, even
>>?with C-UTF-8 as LC_ALL: as specified in my previous message
>>?non-ascii bytes get displayed as <00cxx> which the line editor
>>?does manage properly. But there is still no way to actually see
>>?utf-8 characters displayed, or even their unicode values(ie
>>?it's still a single byte editing mode). If someone manages
>>?to get it working, please post:)

>?Can you send me the specific key sequence you are using to generate this?
In this case, "<00c3><00a9>"(which is acute e, or U+00E9).

>?Are you using a CMD window or rxvt or an xterm?
I tried with CMD/rxvt/putty and the results was always the same.
UTF-8 displays well when, for example, doing a cat on a file with
utf-8 content(just want to make it clear that it's not a term issue).

>?  Also, are you using the stock
>?zsh 4.3.5 source distro or have you applied the Cygwin patches from
>?4.3.4 to it before building?
Currently, only with a stock 4.3.5, I'm currently trying to build
with the cygwin patch and build system to see if it makes any difference.

EDIT: I just did it and it did change the behaviour back to the same
as cygwin built 4.3.4: the ZLE displays the utf-8 characters correctly(ie
sends the correct bytes) but is still 100% unaware of multi-byte.
I tried with both C-UTF-8 and C.UTF-8 and en_US.UTF-8, and none
worked properly, I personally .

>?I've recently built 4.3.5 for Cygwin and have been testing it before
>?releasing it.  Send me the key sequences you are using and I'll see if I
>?can repro it.
Just type any non-ascii character(ie accents, cjk, cyrillic, etc)
in an empty prompt then do a backspace(which should erase it)
and notice that if you actually press backspace a second time it erases
again, when the line should have been empty and not-erased.
The reason being that the first time it only erases the second byte of the
2-byte character, and the second time the first byte(instead of erasing
both at the same time).

>?As Corinna noted, Cygwin doesn't really support utf-8, so this might have
>?some bearing on the matter.  And, you should know that some multi-byte
>?delete issues have been identified on other, supposedly, UTF-8 compliant
>?systems, so you aren't the first to hit this.
Shouldnt be a problem in this case though, as this is purely
for the ZLE(zsh line editor).