Re: compiling C w/cygwin vs. -mno-cygwin; inconsistent "C" behavior

Brian Dessent wrote:
Linda Walsh wrote:

When I use the "no-cygwin" version, filenames with spaces in them get split into
separate arguments, but if I run the "cygwin" version, the file name isn't split
on space boundaries.

I'm 'guessing', but shouldn't the breaking of apart of arguments behave
the same whether I compile with cygwin or -mno-cygwin?

No, what you're seeing is totally expected behavior. In native windows if you want to support filenames with spaces, you have to include physical quote characters in the command line.
----
Well that's just special. But something doesn't add up. How
could the cygwin wrapper know what character strings to bind together as a filename? If I say "gvim file with space", in either the cygwin version
or the nocyg, it will try to edit 3 files. When I am invoking
the redirector, I'm using 1 set of double quotes:
gvim "file with space"
in both versions w/cyg & w/o-cyg. cmd.exe also requires quoting filenames with spaces the same as bash.

For some reason, the multiple args in the redirector are being merged -- I
I can get the quoting to work in the no-cyg case by using 2 sets of quotes:
gvim '"file with space"'

So cygwin pays attention, and my re-passing the args via "execv"
preserves the quoting of filenames, but the no-cyg version appears
to take the argv[1..#] arguments and merge them into 1 argument.
To do the same in the no-cyg version, I'd have to peel each arg
off, put quotes around it, then call execv with everything requoted.

So 'cygwin' appears to "requote" arguments that are passed 'in' whereas
the no-cyg version does not.  Explaining another way:

I have main(int argc,char * const argv[]);
I execute the program like this:
	gvim[+/-]cygwin.exe "Filename with space".
In both the +cyg and the -cyg case, I get an argc value of "2".
With both, I get some form of the program name in argv[0], and then
I get the "Filename with space" (without the quotes) in argv[1].

Then I call execv(cmd, argv);

So you are saying that when I call execv in cygwin, it unpacks
my 'argv', and makes a new 'argv' with quotes around each string?
and that is what gets passed to create process?  Does it use
single or double quotes?

That's because
CreateProcess does not actually have an argv, there is no such thing as
an argv in windows -- a process gets created with a monolithic command
line. If it wants that command line in the form of individual
arguments, it has to parse it (or ask the system/CRT to parse it for
it.)

But the executed program, with or without cygwin, already has the arguments parsed when main is invoked. I.e. when either the cygwin or no-cyg program is invoked, they both have the same view of the arguments in 'argv'.

It's execv that's falling down, not doing it's job.  My arguments
are already parsed and separated, but the no-cyg version of execv
is mushing them all back together, while cygwin invokes the
next program, apparently with quotes of some sort, around the
contents of each, separate, argv[] string.

That means that the only way to make arguments with spaces survive
intact is by quoting.
----
	Right ...

And Cygwin does that quoting for you. The native runtime MSVCRT does
not, which is what is executing when you're using -mno-cygwin.
----
	Isn't MSVCRT the startup code?
 If you
don't like its behavior then take it up with Microsoft, it's out of our
hands.  There is no guarantee of consistency whatsoever, because
-mno-cygwin literally means "don't use any Cygwin, use the Microsoft
runtime (MinGW)".

I don't think it is a MS problem exactly -- it appears to be a broken implementation of execv. When I call execv, the different file arguments are already "collected" together, with 1 file name per 'argv[]' array element. Cygwin "honors" arguments that are collected together in 1-string (pointer of which is passed in 1 argv element) and "somehow" calls the desired program maintaining the grouping of the contents of each "argv" element. You say that the standard way to do that is to quote the contents of each full argv string separately, 1 quoted string/argv element.

I'd say that the no-cyg version of execv isn't maintaining the separation
of the arguments.  It's just mushing them all together and not passing
the correct argument separation to "createprocess".
Am I missing something?

For what it's worth the MinGW project has a set of exec() wrappers that
help to sanitize the situation a little.
---
	I think that's where the problem is.

	I've also run into another unexpected behavior difference.
The no-cyg version of _my_ gcc wrapper, is automatically detaching
from the terminal and going into the background (running under bash).
Is there some reason cygwin waits around until my wrapper is finished,
but the no-cyg version (same code) doesn't?....I suppose it is
easier when launching another program with createprocess -- to hmmm...
shouldn't the exec call "end" or terminate the execution of the wrapper?

	Since I'm not forking -- I'm exec'ing, the redirector should
cease to exist (exit), but under cygwin, it does not.  That seems more
of a bug in the cygwin implementation, no?

Thanks...
-linda