Re: invoke vbscript from cygwin?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM, James Abley <james.abley@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/03/2008, Dave Burns <tburns@hawaii.edu> wrote:
>  > How would one invoke a vbscript from cygwin, if it is possible? I
>  >  guess invoking cygwin from a vbscript would also do the trick, though
>  >  I'd rather not have to fiddle with the vbscript at all.
>  >
>  >  I tried googling and looking at cygwin docs, but couldn't find
>  >  anything. Thanks in advance for any clues.
>  >
>  >  Dave
>  >

>  I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but is there any reason
>  why you can't use cscript.exe or wscript.exe to run your .vbs scripts?
>  If they're on your PATH, it should work.

Yes, that worked splendidly. Should I have known about these
executables? Are they the regular interpreters for vbscripts?  I know
little about cygwin and nothing about vbscript, and I did not see
these mentioned in the documentation. Maybe I was too hasty, but I
didn't even see "Here's how you invoke a regular windows .exe from
within cygwin". I'm sorry for mystifying you - someone handed me an
existing vbscript that does 90% of what I want, I just need to pipe
the output into ssh to send it to another machine to be parsed and
processed. I could pay a licensing fee and get a proprietary VBS
component that does ssh and modify the vbscript to do just what I
want, but why go to all that trouble?

Thanks for big help!
Dave