This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-6.10-1
- From: Eric Blake <ebb9 at byu dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:10:52 +0000 (UTC)
- Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: coreutils-6.10-1
- References: <announce.47A62BF1.email@example.com> <20080411171048.GV23852@calimero.vinschen.de>
Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> These are the changes noted in the changelog. However, what I see now
> is that the target of a symlink is not colored anymore at all.
According to the upstream maintainer, this was a deliberate change (even though
it was not mentioned in NEWS).
The cost of stat'ing a known symlink (which may involve spinning up a disk or
doing a network access) just to color its target was deemed too expensive for
the default. Coreutils 6.11 is due out this week, with no change in behavior,
but perhaps for 6.12, upstream can add a option to dircolors/ls that requests
coloring symlink targets in spite of the increased cost of the stat.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html