Re: [Attn: alternatives maintainer] - ghostscript preremove breakage

Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

What does this

path to alternate expected in /var/lib/alternatives/gs

mean ?

Some sort of parsing error. At that line in the code, the program expects that the line contains exactly an absolute path to the target program.

line = parseLine(&bufp);
while (line && *line) {
set->alts = realloc(set->alts, (set->numAlts + 1) * sizeof(*set->alts));

    if (*line != '/') {
      fprintf(stderr, _("path to alternate expected in %s\n"), path);
      return 1;\

So, line does not start with '/'. So, it's either somehow in the wrong state when parsing that particular line, or the line has a relative path or something. What you did not post, was your actual, problematic /var/lib/alternatives/gs file...

FWIW, I can't reproduce this. I even tried mounting /var/lib/alternatives in text mode to see if that was the problem. It wasn't.

Here is what gs SHOULD look like, if you have both ghostscript and ghostscript-x11 installed: