Re: inetutils 1.5 / ftpd problem: 426 Data connection: No buffer space available.

> Charles,
>
>> Unless somebody squawks loudly and soon, I'm going to release
>> inetutils-1.5-4 using 4k buffers for ftpd send_data().
>> Charles,
>
>> Unless somebody squawks loudly and soon, I'm going to release
>> inetutils-1.5-4 using 4k buffers for ftpd send_data().
>
> Squawk!
>
> Unfortunately, with XP SP2, Cygwin 1.5 as the server machine, I get
> pretty much the same symptoms with each of the above ftpds serving up
> a 350mb file:
>
> 1. In all cases, the ftpd process' memory usage increases to ~350mb,
> 2. As the buffer value decreases, the process' cpu usage increases
> (ftpd-1k.exe used about 75% of the cpu vs. about 10% for ftpd-8k.exe),
> 3. Performance jumped around (ftpd-1k transferred the file in
> 90seconds, ftpd-4k in 166 seconds, ftp-8k in 114 seconds on a wired
> network)

Quick addendum: I copied over in.ftpd.exe from another Cygwin
installation running inetutils 1.3.2 and symlinked it to ftpd on my
server; using that to serve the same file, memory usage sticks at
3500kb, cpu usage never rises about 5%, and the file was delivered in
194 seconds.

Ant.