bash.exe: ***fatal error

I thought it important enough to clarify item (4) below.  The attachment
is in the previous posting.

Yesterday I installed the final version of SP3 on my XP Professional
system, which I downloaded via a link to the microsoft .exe via zdnet,
just an hour or so before it was announced that MS is working on a filter
to prevent updates to machines also running some retail software (not
on my machine).  Everything is working fine, except for the issue below.

(1) Whenever I try to start a cygwin window via the default shortcut icon,
which points to C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat (which is the same since 2005),
I am getting

	6 [main] ? (4596) C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: ***fatal error -
	couln't allocate heap, Win32 error 487, base 0x6D0000, top
	0x6E0000, reserve_size 61440, allocatesize 65536, page_cost 4096

The PID 4596 of course changes with each attempt.

(2) If I try to start my X session via my long-time working script
/usr/local/bin/startxwin.sh (a path-modified /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh),
it fails the same way.

However:

(3) If I start an X window via Xming, and use its menu to start a cygwin
window via
        cygwin  execd   "C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i"
this works just fine also.

(4) If I temporarily change a line in /cygwin.bat to use
sh --login -i
instead of the default
bash --login -i
and use the desktop shortcut to cygwin.bat, this also work OK.
Note these are same executables:
9:48:04 @lester:/bin% ls -l sh.exe bash.exe
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ingber Users 470528 Jan  3 20:17 bash.exe*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ingber None  470528 Jan  3 20:17 sh.exe*
9:48:10 @lester:/bin% zdiff bash.exe sh.exe
9:48:23 @lester:/bin%

(5) I have several .csh and .sh scripts in /usr/local/bin that are run via
schedules and these run just fine, e.g., updatedb.sh (just modifies the
default paths in /bin/upfatedb, but is run via `#! /bin/sh` on line 1).
I just ran updatedb.sh directly again from a window (started via (3)
above) and it works just fine.  I also temporarily changed the first
line in my updatedb.sh to `#! /bin/bash` and this also seems to run OK.

I have tried, without any change in the problem:
(6) rebaseall via ash in a command window, which seems to have run just fine.
(7) reinstalling bash, cygrunsrv, cygutils, cygwin
(8) increasing memory by +512 in the 3 parameters in the registry

Any other suggestions?

I attach the output of `cygcheck -svr`.

Thanks.

Lester