Re: rxvt in native mode, widely spaced characters [Was: Re: why "Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in your subject"?]

Daniel Barclay wrote:

I still don't understand what's going on with rxvt.

When I modify or remove /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt, nothing changes.

Correct. Because that is the *default* file (that's why it is underneath /etc/defaults/). The actual file used at runtime is over in /etc/X11/app-defaults/.

On one hand, that makes sense--I'm not (knowingly) running X11.

On the other hand, it's a little strange that rxvt is still using the colors
given in that file. Is rxvt getting them from compiled-in values, or is it
getting them from somewhere else?

It's getting them from /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt. rxvt parses the X11/app-defaults file itself, and does not rely on the Xserver's 'xrdb' (resource management) to do it.

(I also terminated all CygWin processes, started bash, and ran rxvt to see
if CygWin somehow was emulating xrdb's behavior (of reading the X11 defaults) some
other way, but there was still no difference.)

Because nothing (that matters) changed. /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt was still there, and rxvt itself read the contents.

In any case, that still leaves unanswered the question of what makes rvxt switch
between normally spaced black characters on a white background vs. widely spaced
yellow on blue.

Hopefully my other message answered this question (and those that followed which I've snipped out).

--
Chuck