postgresql package and error message translations

Hello!
I use postgresql tools such as psql, pg_dump, etc.
If I invoke them as "/bin/psql" they product error (and probably other) messages
in english; but if I invoke them as "psql" or "/usr/bin/psql" they
produce messages
in my native language (russian) in koi8-r encoding and windows' default encoding
for text in my native language is cp1251 (or windows-1251). That means I get
garbage in terminal.
I've chosen unix file format when installing cygwin and problem
described can be
observed with both "current" and "experimental" versions of cygwin packages.
I have no interest in error messages in my native language so is there way
to turn them off once and for all?