Re: pangp

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) <yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
> |   So, they're in the DLL itself, but for some reason not marked as exports
> | in the DEF file, and hence no available stubs for them in the import .a
> | library.

   Yes, Dave is right here.  His idea gives a way to building a multi-capable pango.

> It's because of the -export-symbols-regex "^pango_.*" flag, hence
> _pango_* internal symbols aren't being exported.
Well, YO, could have said that he manually, exluded win32 in the configuration.

>  This isn't supposed to
> be used when building a Win32 Pango, as you'll see from the configure.in
> where this flag is declared; now you know why.
Well Yaakov, you know why.  I expected cairo and pango built a configuration
of --with-x would be fine, and it should be.  You neglected to mention that it was trying to build a win32 and cygwin.dll version at the same time, which it can't, as far as I know.  So you explicity said to configure without win32.

You are mentioning something that is esoteric.
You mentioned below that...

> My questions are:
> 1) What is /usr/local/bin/gcc that the OP is using?
YO, the gcc version used in not relavant in this case.  I checked this.

> 2) Has the OP built cairo from sources with the Win32 backend instead of
> the X11 as in our distro?

YO, the configuration result is:
Cairo is configured and built with:    --with-x

So is Pango, in which its configuration script upon completion outputs:
configuration:    backends: Cairo Win32 FreeType X

Note, that is has Cairo, Win32, FreeType, and Win32 as backends.

Cairo builds these automatically.

> I can attest that there are no issues building pango with the X11 cairo.
So what you probably meant, when you said "was cairo built, explicitly exluding win32"... Which is probably neceesaary right?

If you would please educate me as to just what arguments did you use,
when you "configure"d cairo and pango, I could verify your aforementioned
attestation.

----

> 1.21.3 is from SVN trunk; the latest upstream version is 1.20.3, also in
> Ports.  It's irrelevant though, as this flag has been used for years.
>
> (Why isn't the distro Pango updated?  X11R7.)
>
> Yaakov

Well, the YO, is wrong here....
"pango-1.21.3" was not gotten fron SVN's trunk.
Is is a newly released version.  Not a release candidate, but a public release.

See: http://www.pango.org/Download   and from there
     http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pango/

You can also find it at: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pango/1.21/
named appropriately as "LATEST-IS-1.21.3            16-Jun-2008..."

Regards,
  Henman