This is the mail archive of the cygwin mailing list for the Cygwin project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: flex: exec failed? (root install/mount)

 > [J] jay
 > [C] corinna
 > Subject: Re: flex: exec failed? (root install/mount)   

 > [J] configure:10596: /obj/gcc.5/i686-pc-cygwin/i686-pc-cygwin/build-i686-pc-cygwin/flex/flex conftest.l   
 > [J] strace: error creating process D:\\obj/gcc.5/i686-pc-cygwin/i686-pc-cygwin/build-i686-pc-cygwin/flex/flex, (error 3)  
 > [J]   
 > [J] which indicates the problem is:  
 > [J]  $ mount  
 > [J]  d:\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)  
 > [J]  d:\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)  
 > [J]  d: on / type system (binmode)  
 > [J]  c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)  
 > [J]    
 > [J]  d: is being interpeted, as it is on Win32, as the current directory on drive d,  
 > [J]  and not, as intended here, as the root of d.  
 > [C]  This is never the case in Cygwin.  The above error message occurs in   
 > [C]  strace, which is not a Cygwin application, but a native Win32   
 > [C]  application.    
  Thanks Corinna. Good catch. I realize what you say, but on the other hand,  
  the mount stuff kind of lives in the transition zone between Win32  
  and the rest of Cygwin. Look, those are Win32 paths on the left, 
  and the theory I gave is reasonable, even if untrue. :)   

  However, I did later notice another problem.   
  After believing my theory, and reinstalling to c:\cygwin, 
  the error kept occuring.  
  (Oh, and yes, I stuck strace into the configure file).  

  Finally I remembered, that after the original problem, and noticing   
  that the gcc tree is apparently setup to build a bunch of stuff all together,   
  not just gcc, binutils, gmp, mpfr, but a bunch more, including flex,  
  I stuck the flex source in there as well. Figuring I'd maybe build  
  and debug it.Well, it appears the gcc's support for integrating  
  flex is actually not working.   

  Configuring binutils decides to run a flex that doesn't yet exist, if the source is there.  
  Looking in "." and looking where configure thinks flex will be, while perhaps  
  different by a path element or two, to the very lazy/casual/careless/Jay observer -- same thing.  

  SO, I've deleted the flex source, and reinstalled to c:\cygwin, and I'll punt this for now.  
  I have symlinks /c => /cygdrive/c, /obj => /c/obj, etc.   

  At some point I should go back to c:\ (or d:\, whatever), keep flex source out,  
  and see what happens. I still think my theory is close to correct, but I  
  probably polluted the repro case before the later debugging, oops.   
  I'm sure I didn't put the flex code there until after I first had some problem.   

   - Jay

Unsubscribe info:
Problem reports:

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]