Re: configuring the backspace key, etc. (un-indenting doesn't work with vim)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Jay <jayk123@hotmail.com> wrote:
> While Andrew's tone is a bit strong/rude, I do agree.
> The keyboard should just work.

And it does.  Andrew had a misconfigured vim setup that was getting in the way.

> PC keyboards have been for a very long time now.

Yes.  But, again, you're not always on the local attached keyboard
when interacting with a Linux system.

Admittedly, even when not local,  99.9% of the time you'll be using
some sort of VT100/ANSI terminal emulator, so a lot of the flexibility
of the termcap/terminfo system is overkill at this point. But the
underlying abstraction - no matter how you are connected, it looks
like a tty to the host software - is still valuable.

>  > That's the price of using stuff without understanding it.
> >  Oh man.
>  Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone..

Fair enough. But I do at least try not to blame "the system" when I
screw something up because I didn't know what I was doing...

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>