Re: configuring the backspace key, etc. (un-indenting doesn't work with vim)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:16:40AM -0400, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Jay <jayk123@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>While Andrew's tone is a bit strong/rude, I do agree.  The keyboard
>>should just work.
>
>And it does.  Andrew had a misconfigured vim setup that was getting in
>the way.
>
>>PC keyboards have been for a very long time now.
>
>Yes.  But, again, you're not always on the local attached keyboard when
>interacting with a Linux system.
>
>Admittedly, even when not local, 99.9% of the time you'll be using some
>sort of VT100/ANSI terminal emulator, so a lot of the flexibility of
>the termcap/terminfo system is overkill at this point.  But the
>underlying abstraction - no matter how you are connected, it looks like
>a tty to the host software - is still valuable.
>
>>>That's the price of using stuff without understanding it.  Oh man.
>>Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone..
>
>Fair enough.  But I do at least try not to blame "the system" when I
>screw something up because I didn't know what I was doing...

Thank you Mark.  I think you have put your finger on the basic problem
which started this tedious discussion.

This thread veered away from anything to do with Cygwin a while ago.
Lets please move on now.  If there is still a need to express
disappointment with the way UNIX handles ttys then please find another
forum.

cgf