Re: Control-c of a bat file does not kill commands run by bat file in some cases

On Jul 18 09:45, Mark Charney wrote:
> Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> When I run a program loop.exe   whose entire source is "int main() {   while(1);  return 0;}", compiled with MS VS8 or cygwin's gcc, from a bat file whose contents are just "loop.exe" and hit control-c while it is running, sometimes cygwin kills the loop.exe and sometimes it does not. Here are the 6 scenarios that I tried:
>
> 1. OKAY tcsh  from a cmd.exe
> 2. OKAY bash from a cmd.exe
> 3. BROKEN tcsh from an rxvt X window  on local machine
> 4. BROKEN bash from an rxvt X window on local machine
> 5. BROKEN tcsh via ssh from a remote machine  (public key auth)
> 6. BROKEN bash via ssh from a remote machine (public key auth)
>
> OKAY means it kills the bat file and loop.exe
> BROKEN means loop.exe continues to run after control-c.
>
> bash/tcsh doesn't not seem to matter, I just did it because I first noticed the problem on tcsh.
>
> At the very least, if it is a feature, it is inconsistent.

What do you expect?  In cases 3 to 6 you're running a VC++ console
application in a Cygwin pseudo tty session, not in a Windows console.
Native Windows apps have no idea what a Cygwin signal (in this case
SIGINT) is, so it doesn't handle it.  And, since you don't have a
Windows console, you don't get Windows console "signal" handling which
would inject a thread into the application which by default stops the
application on Ctrl-C.

Corinna

Red Hat