Re: Problems with file permissions and cp when running on Vista

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
I'd start at the source.  Give yourself POSIX-style access to the files
to start with.  'cp' will preserve that access.  'cp' and many other
utilities don't take ACL permissions into account.  They are silently
ignored.  For whatever reason, it looks like your source file has no
POSIX permissions for user, group, and other.  Fix that with 'chmod'
and I think you'll have solved your problem.

I suppose that my issue is that I can look at the source file, use vi on it, cat it etc despite the fact that it doesn't appear to have any permissions. Copy the file and I now don't have permissions on the file at all. In other words when I do CAT, it's clearly checking more than just the posix permissions otherwise I wouldn't be able to look at the contents. But the CP isn't then copying that information. If CAT failed to open the source file with permission denied because of the lack of POSIX permissions, then the target having no permissions seems reasonable as you then get the same behaviour on the target. But since I can read the source, it is checking more than just the POSIX permissions, it seems wrong to me that CP isn't taking notice of that too.