Re: OLoCA

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 05:33:11PM -0400, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>> Uriel Apeiron wrote on 30 July 2008 20:23:
>>>I was poking around the Cygwin site and noticed the 'acronym' section.
>>>The section should be called 'abbreviations'.  Acronyms are a subset of
>>>abbreviations that a person can say like a word, like squares are a
>>>subset of rectangles.  All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice
>>>versa.  CIA is an abbreviation, NASA is an acronym.
>
>"There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the
>various terms (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym#Nomenclature)
>...  [acronym] is widely used to describe any abbreviation formed from
>initial letters".
>
>Bonus terminology: those who restrict "acronym" as you do can refer to
>the non-acronym abbreviations such as CIA as "initialisms" (as distinct
>from other sorts of abbrev.)
>
>Also, beginning a conversation by making bald statements of the "You're
>Doing It Wrong" form might get one branded as rude.  Which you might or
>might not care about.  Just something to consider.

Thank you.  I was going to make this point but, IMO, you made it more
clearly than any wording I could come up with.

Btw, I think we need an acronym for someone who begins conversations by
making bald statements.  BCBMBS?

Also, FWIW, the dictionary.com definition of acronym seems to match what
we do on the OLOCA perfectly.

Thanks, Mark.

cgf