autoconf/configure problem on text mounts

There seems to be a problem with autoconf generated scripts when running the resulting configure on a text mount. I came across this when trying to compile lame:

checking for int64_t... yes
configure: error: CHECK_TYPE_uint32_t - please report to lame-dev <at> lists.sourceforge.net

I tracked this down to this line in configure:

FILE *f = fopen ("conftest.val", "w")

If I change all occurrences to

FILE *f = fopen ("conftest.val", "wb")

the configure and build succeeds.

I am not familar enough with autoconf to be able to tell how that line gets into configure. I can't find it in configure.in. All I can see is stuff like AH_VERBATIM([HAVE_UINT64_T] and AC_CHECK_TYPES([uint8_t, int8_t, uint16_t, int16_t, uint32_t, int32_t, uint64_t, int64_t]); I'd guess it is releated to the latter.

The contents of conftest.val are used later like

ac_cv_sizeof_unsigned_int=`cat conftest.val`

which adds a \r to the assignment causing later tests like

   if test "${ac_cv_sizeof_unsigned_int}" = "4"; then

to fail.

Running autoconf on cygwin results in the same broken configure script.

Any ideas what should be done other than not using a text mount? To me opening the conftest.val file as text is wrong.

Michael