Re: UPDATE: RE: bash builtin "test" kills bash on Win 2003 Server R2 x64 (some hardware)

Stephen Quintero wrote:
Hi,

I have now tested four operating systems on four different physical machines:

Windows Server 2003 Standard 32-bit Edition
Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 x64 Edition
Windows Server 2008 Standard 32-bit Edition
Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit Edition

Each OS was a clean install with a clean install of cygwin. All installs
were performed in VM's running under Xen 3.2.1 on the first physical
machine, an AMD based box, and on this machine the cygwin bash builtin test
works under each OS.

I then rsync'd the images to three other machines, each running identical
versions of Xen, each with different Xeon based processors. On these boxes,
the bash builtin test fails on the 64-bit OS's, and works on the 32-bit
OS's. To verify, on one of the Xeon boxes, I installed both 64-bit OS's from
scratch, in VM's, and then cygwin. The cygwin postinstall scripts failed
because of the broken bash builtin test.

The CPU's are:

#1	Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 HE
#2	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz
#3	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5355 @ 2.66GHz
#4	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz

Windows 2008 x64 pops up an error message when bash crashes, the contents
of which is included in the two attached images (I could not copy and paste
in the vnc client).

The problem is dependent on the 64-bit OS / hardware combination (and may
relate to the way Xen virtualizes the hardware for HVM guests). I have no
physical access to the machines and am unable to install Windows directly
(not under Xen).

Interesting. It does sound like Xen has some problem here with their virtualization. Did you contact them about this?

Holliston, MA 01746