reseting HOME directory

Hi,

I found similar past posts here, but could not totally understand the
answers.  For some reason, my HOME directory has changed one day from
/home/USER to /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/USER (I guess imported from
the windows settings).  At the same time a program I am running using cygwin
started to much slower than before.  I don't know if the two problems are
related, but first I would like to set my HOME directory back to /Home/USER.

I saw people referring to /etc/profile file, or the BASH_PROFILE file in my
(original) home directory, but I could not understand what exactly I should
write in them.  I would greatly appreciate your advices.  I do not master
linux/cygwin, so if you try to answer, please consider that :)

Thanks,
BK