RE: Cygwin setup.exe via the cygwin shell

acmeinc wrote on Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:27 PM:
> I'm trying to install Cygwin apps via the Cygwin shell rather than
opening
> and running the setup.exe via the windows interface.
>
> I figure there must be a way, similar to FreeBSD ports tree, to
install
> Cygwin/Unix apps via the Cygwin shell.
>
> This will also allow me to install and update apps remotely as I have
> OpenSSH setup.
>
> Please let me konw if you any information regarding installing and
setting
> up Cygwin via the Cygwin shell.

----
$ setup.exe -h
$ cat setup.log
<snip>
Command Line Options:
 -D --download                          Download from internet
 -L --local-install                     Install from local directory
 -s --site                              Download site
 -R --root                              Root installation directory
 -P --packages                          Specify packages to install
 -p --proxy                             HTTP/FTP proxy (host:port)
 -q --quiet-mode                        Unattended setup mode
 -h --help                              print help
 -l --local-package-dir                 Local package directory
 -r --no-replaceonreboot                Disable replacing in-use files
on next
                                        reboot.
 -X --no-verify                         Don't verify setup.ini
signatures
 -n --no-shortcuts                      Disable creation of desktop and
start
                                        menu shortcuts
 -N --no-startmenu                      Disable creation of start menu
shortcut
 -d --no-desktop                        Disable creation of desktop
shortcut
 -K --pubkey                            Path to extra public key file
(gpg
                                        format)
 -S --sexpr-pubkey                      Extra public key in s-expr
format
 -u --untrusted-keys                    Use untrusted keys from
last-extrakeys
 -U --keep-untrusted-keys               Use untrusted keys and retain
all
 -A --disable-buggy-antivirus           Disable known or suspected buggy
anti
                                        virus software packages during
                                        execution.
----

For example (untested), to install vim and bc:

setup.exe -d -q -R 'c:\cygwin' -s 'http://mirrors.xmission.com/cygwin/'
-l 'c:\cygwin\home\thrall' -P vim,bc

--
Bryan Thrall