Re: rsync 3.0.4 over ssh hanging on cygwin 1.7

Thanks to all who have replied so far - as Herb says, the cygwin+sshd +rsync combo is extremely useful, not least in that it allows my client PC's to simply run sshd as a very efficient (ie resource unintensive) background service, requiring no further user intervention (A Good Thing™). Workarounds such as running OpenVPN or VirtualBox seem like the proverbial sledgehammer to crack a nut and additionally add a further layer to configure/go wrong.

From my own point of view, I'm going to try playing around with a few options such as creating an ssh tunnel as described here: http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/Workaround+BackupPC+Windows+2003+Hang

to see if that helps and beyond that see if I can come up with some combination of rsync options and shell scripting that might allow me to atomise the transfer somewhat, possibly using --write-batch -- timeout and some batch vs logfile crunching to restart transfer at last file transferred at timeout point. It won't be as quick or as simple, but if it works and is robust, that'll do for me for now (I'm at least a week late on rolling this out as it is!) I won't however hold my breath as a test of recursively running rsync with --timeout on one user directory is showing only about another 5 files each time...

As ever all tips and pointers gratefully received, and if I have any blinding glimpses of the obvious, I'll certainly share with the list. :-)

Cheers,

Fred.