Re: Bash process hangs around forever after ssh disconnect

Michael,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 22:49, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:

> I'm logging in to a W2k server via cygwin sshd and using Putty as my
> terminal emulator. If my ssh connection gets dropped for any reason the
> bash.exe process on the host just stays there forever. Also, anything I was
> running in bash (e.g. vim) will stay there forever.
>
> Anything that can be done about this?

1. Use reliable connection.
2. Gracefully close all started applications and shell instead of
pressing Alt-F4 or 'x' icon in PuTTY.
3. If #1 is not an option, then either
  3.a. use 'screen' from the beginning, reconnect to your session
after connection drop, and follow #2; or
  3.b. reconnect to the server after connection drop, and kill all
previously started applications.

Note that I've never tried (3.a) in Cygwin.

--
...Bye..Dmitry.