Re: rm seems to fail

"not a universal problem" is good and bad...  good that this is
widespread, bad that it's harder to debug on just my system.

I renamed the other rm, (after checking to see if it worked... it
does, but even though it can cope with forward slashes, it hates
/cygdrive/d/..."

I also tried backing down my coreutils and cygwin packages to 6.10-1
and 1.5.25-14, respectively (the oldest ones setup offered) that
didn't seem to help.

your perl test was a nice try; but it also did not remove the file,
which is revealing.
did I try downgrading the wrong packages? or is there another
direction I should look?
-greenup
(thanks for the quick help, by the way!)