Re: keycodes

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Andy Koppe wrote:

>>> Why not simply type Ctrl-R then the first few letters of a command (or
>>> some letters in the middle of a command). Works great! Requires no support
>>> from any terminal emulator...
>>
>> Yes, obviously you can bind the history search to any key you like.
>
> The points were, since you seemed to have missed them, that 1) that's the
> default binding for bash

It's a default binding for bash that does something different than the
suggested binding.  It's great that you can do both, but they're not
the same.  I know of both, use both, and find history-search-backward
and history-search-forward much more useful more of the time than
reverse-search-history and forward-search-history.

> and 2) it doesn't require MinTTY, nor xterm, nor
> any particular terminal emulator. IOW it works out of the box, in fact works
> in Cygwin's bash Windows console window

It works with all terminal emulators that are set up to send CTRL+R as
the single byte 0x12 - nearly all do by default, but there's no reason
they have to.  xterm can be configured to send CSI 27;5;114 ~
instead.  Andy's suggestion works with all terminal emulators that
send CSI 1;5 A for CTRL+UP - again, most do, but not all.  There's no
difference between the two here, apart from one binding being default
and the other being added with .inputrc.

> and does not even restrict you to
> locating only the start of a command. All win, win, win situations as I see
> it.

The fact that it's "restricted" to only working at the start of the
line is why it's more useful more of the time for me.  I sometimes
want to find a command that contained 'foobar' as one of its arguments
somewhere on the line - but, much more often, I want to find that
cryptic ctags invocation, or that find command, etc.  If I know what
the line begins with, then searching with CTRL+R just gives me false
positives that I need to skip over.

~Matt