Re: Bash doesn't launch the applications directly.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:11:30PM -0500, Dave Steenburgh wrote:
>Well, now I understand why I occasionally see more instances of bash
>in the task manager than I was expecting.  However, now I have to ask
>why the shim doesn't appear [plainly] with ps:
>
>     4540       1    4540       4540    0 1003 11:48:08 /usr/bin/bash
>     5656    4540    5656       4756    0 1003 11:48:35
>/cygdrive/f/WINDOWS/system32/notepad

Because that's the way ps works.  It shows cygwin pids.  If you really
want to see the shim process you do have to use the task manager.

>5656 is the PID of the shim, and 4756 is the PID of notepad.  I'm
>extrapolating here, so correct me if I'm wrong: whenever the WINPID
>column is different from the PID column, there's a shim process?

No, that's not correct.  WINPID can be unequal to PID in other situations
too.  That's because the Windows API doesn't have anything like exec*().

>The task manager displays both, because they are after all separate
>processes.  Personally, I'd rather see one entry for each process than
>have to notice when PID and WINPID are different.  Out of curiosity,
>what would ps show if somehow the shim was left running long after
>notepad had exited?  Would you still see notepad, or would there be no
>entry at all, or would the shim then be in plain sight?

You are asking for postulation on an event that should never occur but
if the shim still exists cygwin's ps will probably think that there is
still a process with that cygwin pid sitting around.

cgf