Re: Vista - postgresql 8.2.11 - won't start, psql FATAL role does not exist

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> wrote:
> Keith Christian schrieb:
>>
>> I'd like to get PostgreSQL running on my Vista machine.
>>
>> I've been following the "impatient" instructions at the end of
>> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-8.2.11.README as shown below:
>>

>>     1  Installation:
>>     2
>>     3  For the impatient: install as service (hard)
>
> hard is really "hard"
>
>>     4
>>     5      # save old database (optional)
>>     6      pg_dumpall -g /tmp/$$pgdump-globals.sql
>>     7      pg_dumpall > /tmp/$$pgdump.sql
>>     8      # adjust the settings in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
>>     9      nano /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
>>    10      sysbash # /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql initdb
>>    11      /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql install
>>    12      /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

>> ########## (Line 9 above) - What settings should be adjusted in
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql for a starting Cygwin installation???
>
> PGDATA, POSTMASTER_ARGS or INITDB_ARGS could be adjusted.

So, on a typical Cygwin installation, would any of the three above
arguments have to be changed?  I'd be accessing PostgreSQL from a
local BASH shell initially.

> So your running it as keith.
> Add the db and role keith.
>
> $ createdb keith
> $ createuser -S -R -d keith

Thanks, Rene - here is what I've tried so far:

1 --- The "createdb keith" command didn't work, so I didn't proceed
with "createuser -S -R -d keith."

Tue Jan 27 06:39:59 (keith@tycho) ~>createdb keith
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  role "keith"
does not exist

2 --- I found a sysbash script here:
wget "http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg01860/sysbash";

The sysbash script reported an error on line 40.  I'll see if there is
an updated version somewhere.  The one downloaded with wget has a
datestamp of Sep. 30, 2003.

Tue Jan 27 07:09:30 (keith@tycho) ~>./sysbash
./sysbash: line 40: 09: value too great for base (error token is "09")
Warning: Due to security enhancements, this task will run at the time
expected but not interactively.
Use schtasks.exe utility if interactive task is required ('schtasks /?'
for details).
Added a new job with job ID = 1
Status ID   Day                     Time          Command Line
        1   Tomorrow                7:09 AM       cmd /c
"C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i"
at id-number /delete     # <- this will remove a badly set job

I know that you didn't write the sysbash script, it's unclear how to
access the SYSTEM session that's supposed to run.

Thanks for your assistance, I'll resume this tonight or tomorrow when
I have more time.

======Keith