Re: RFD: cygwin + *native* MinGW compiler

At:

Charles Wilson said:
Greg said

>>I use '--build=i686-pc-mingw32 --host=i686-pc-mingw32'. Here:
>>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2009-01/msg00193.html
>>you say that's lying to 'configure', but you also observe that
>>I'm in excellent company. I'd be dismayed if that broke.
>
>Well, as I point out above: it's already very fragile, and.requires a
>great deal of careful setup to get it to work "correctly" (if generating
>DLLs with the wrong name can be considered "correct").
>
>I wouldn't want to gratuitously break this usage, but I am leaning
>towards endorsing the suggestion that it's bad to lie to your toolchain.
>However, if you REALLY want to do so, and assume all the risk of
>breakage/failure/hairloss/heartburn, then...set these [*] environment
>variables before you ./configure, and then cross your fingers...

The reasons I use "--build=mingw32 --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32"
when building gcc are
1) I have, perhaps mistakenly, assumed that "--build=" referred to the OS of the compiler,
not the ethnicity of the shell.
2) my build gcc is a mingw32 gcc, and unlike a cygwin-hosted gcc, doesn't understand
symlinks.  "--build=cygwin32"  would suggest that the native gcc understands symlinks.
Ditto for my binutil and gdb apps which do not depend on cygwin.
3) specifying "--host=mingw32 --target=mingw32" usually works just fine too (within a
cygwin bash shell), for most projects, as long as there are no assumptions about symlinks.

4) "--build=mingw32 --host=mingw32 --target=mingw32"  always seemed to be a natural way to
do a bootstrap.

I don't set any special environment variables before I "bash ./config.sh" from a DOS
prompt (my everday path just put C:/mingw/bin in front of C:/cygwin/bin) and I don't cross
my fingers because I know it has worked for 10 years or so.

Danny