Re: RFE?: CygWinDir in ENV? (was Re: How does one find where Cygwin was installed from Windows?)

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

This can be done now, if you look back through the thread to all the
different options I outlined and even a few scripts others have thrown
in.  What Linda is proposing here is simply having the mechanism for
communicating this be an environment variable.  While this could arguably
make it easier to do what you want, it doesn't mean that you can't do
it now for either Cygwin 1.5 or the upcoming 1.7 (though you may be
required to do something different for 1.5 and 1.7.)

For what it's worth, you can easily retrieve a known registry key (that you have permission to access) using a batch file and then store that in a temporary variable. (I'm sure the gurus already know this)

I really dislike software that pollutes my environment for me, but
I really like software that lets me do it myself, if that makes any
sense.

Ralph