Re: rsync hanging on Access MDB file

Hello Des,

* On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:41:05PM -0800 Des Dougan wrote:

> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (449058 bytes received so far)
> [receiver]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635)
> [receiver=3.0.2]
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (237 bytes received so far)
> [generator]
> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(635) [generator=3.0.2]
>
> The error occurs each time on the same Access database file (part of the
> application suite the server was installed for).

I know this behaviour for other file types: It happens if these files
are either hold open (Outlook .pst files come to mind), or even modified
while rsync is in progress.

Thus, can you really rule out that noone else is accessing this file
while rsync is taking place? My experience with Access is rather old
(Access 1.1 and 2.0, some 15 years ago), but for these ancient versions,
every time someone accesses this database, he opens the .mdb file
himself in a shared manner. Thus, even if nothing is running on the
server, there might be some remote user that is still accessing the DB.

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/