Re: [boost and xerces] ping maintainers

Larry and Greg,

Thank you for your responses, I overlooked these libraries, mostly because I have not been using them. Your guidance was
very educational!

Werner

Greg Chicares wrote:
Can you point out to me where you see any Boost DLLs? I only see *.hpp template files.

The boost filesystem library is an example; my installation has, in /lib/ :

$ls libboost_file*
libboost_filesystem-gcc-mt-1_33_1.a
libboost_filesystem-gcc-mt-s-1_33_1.a
libboost_filesystem-gcc-mt-s.a
libboost_filesystem-gcc-mt.a

which IIRC were all gotten via 'setup.exe'.

I gather from a glance at the boost links above that these might be
buildable as dlls instead of as static libraries, but I think what's
relevant to your question is that this library has '.cpp' files that
must be compiled separately. I believe VÃclav was referring to boost's
sui generis build system, which I always found a bit odd; if you want
to avoid it, this might be worth a look:
  http://boost-extras.sourceforge.net/gnu-boost/gnu-boost.html
| Tired of trying to compile boost with some weird tool only a very
| few understand? Try GNU boost!

-- Werner Wothke, Ph.D. 3412 15th ST N Arlington, VA 22201

202-379-8023 (cell)
703-527-1636 (home)
202-403-5024 (work)

wewo@smallwaters.com