Re: Not a cygport problem [Was: Re: Problem with 575 man pages -- cygport problem?]

On Mar 17 08:53, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> > It depends on which version of 'file' you are using. On cygwin-1.7, the
> > current version of file:
> >
> > $ file -version
> > file-5.00
> >
> > reports ASCII text.
> >
> > On cygwin-1.5, the current version of file
> >
> > $ file -version
> > file-4.21
> >
> > reports ASCII troff.
>
> Ahh... my bad, I tested on Cygwin 1.7 with file-5.00 only.

I just got a reply from the file(1) upstream maintainer that the word
"ASCII" in front of the troff text is just an artifact from the older
builtin test.  The next file release will only print "troff or
preprocessor input text" without the leading ASCII.  The fact that troff
pages are often recognized as "ASCII text", "ASCII English text" or even
"ASCII Pascal program text" in file-5.00 is a bug in the magic file
which will be fixed in the next file release.  But, as aforementioned,
then with just "troff or preprocessor input text" instead of "ASCII
troff or preprocessor input text".

Corinna

Red Hat