RE: sed converts 8-bit input text to 16-bit (Unicode-16?) characters - how to suppress that?

I searched and did find another sed on my disk, but that was not in
the path. So - yes - I *am* using cycwin's sed.

> I tried with input files
> containing german umlauts and sed does not convert to wide
> char and it does not produce a BOM marker at the start of the file.

Maybe that conversion comes from me redirecting the output to a file
using
'sed {options} > filename.ext'  ?!? I'll have to verify that!

There is no option to explicitly specify an output file, is there?

Michael