Re: No Output When Running Program From Sub Directory

Fabricio Guzman wrote:

> This problem seems simple yet I've spent the last two days researching
> and have been unsuccessful.
>
> I have a directory, "TopDir", with one subdirectory "SubDir".  The
> "TopDir" has a program called "libtool."  If I'm in "TopDir" the
> command "libtool --help" works as expected (I see the help text).
> However, if I'm in "SubDir" and type the command "../libtool --help",
> nothing shows up.  I don't see any text and the shell simply returns
> to a prompt.  Am I not allowed to run programs residing in a different
> directory?

Directories have nothing to do with what you are seeing.

../libtool is equivalent only to ./libtool on the parent directory, what
you did was execute the first libtool found on the PATH, to see which
one is it try "which libtool".

Of course if PATH contains . before any other directory then things
would work as you expect, except that the libtool you are testing still
doesn't output anything, is that libtool compiled to be a windows app?
many windows console applications don't interact well with Cygwin,
output is buffered and shows much later than expected, or doesn't show,
windows pipes don't connect, etc. and things changed even more if you
are using Cygwin 1.7 (works worse now).
--
R.Berber