RE: GREP: Memory Exhausted

I get this error all the time from simple recursive greps on large
source directory trees.   E.g.

$ grep -r zap *
Binary file SDE/BUILD_DBG/dist/ship.tar matches
Binary file SDE/BUILD_DBG/ship/lib/servlet-api.jar matches
grep: memory exhausted

$ grep --version
GNU grep 2.5.3

Copyright (C) 1988, 1992-2002, 2004, 2005  Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

The same grep on Linux or Solaris usually works, but I think only
because virtual memory is handled differently.

If you watch memory consumption on windows while grep is running, it
remains flat for about 30 seconds and then starts growing in sizeable
chunks until it fails.

And BTW, there was an earlier version of grep that worked but I have
since lost the version number.

Andy Hall

Behalf