Re: pstree on windows xp - find process spawned from windows process

Matthias Andree wrote:
Am 24.04.2009, 00:07 Uhr, schrieb Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com>:

nachum wrote:
Hi, I'm new to cygwin, and I am beginning to like it. I am having trouble
though with child processes that have only Windows PIDs and not cygwin
PIDs.

When I run Xilinx bitgen from cygwin 2 processes are run both with the
name
bitgen.exe. Below I am running bitgen through make.

      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
S    3936    2836    3936       2380    0 12696 19:54:49 /usr/bin/make
S     808    3936    3936       2852    0 12696 19:54:49
/cygdrive/c/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/bin/nt/bitgen
     2852       0       0       2852    ?    0 19:54:49
c:\Xilinx\10.1\ISE\bin\nt\bitgen.exe
      504       0       0        504    ?    0 19:54:49
c:\Xilinx\10.1\ISE\bin\nt\unwrapped\bitgen.exe

Since I'm not sure what Xilinx is doing, I can't really say. Someone else
here *might* be able to tell you, if they have run into the same thing
either with Xilinx or some other native Windows app. But since this
probably has more to do with Xilinx's particular implementation and less
to do with Cygwin proper, this would be off-topic for this list. That's
one of the reasons why I was suggesting talking to the Xilinx folks. That
and the fact that they should know exactly what they're doing, why, and
how you might track it.

Not entirely - the problem being that pstree always uses Cygwin PIDs which are not necessarily the same as WINPIDs - it would be quite useful if pstree had an option to display Windows PIDs.

(In fact, I had to rewrite the PIDs in my pstree output of the git-svn report on this list some hours earlier to the winpids to match the sysinternals handle output...)

And that's benefit of open source. :-) Perhaps you'd want to prepare a patch that you can offer to the upstream 'psmisc' maintainers to see if they want to incorporate your solution to your "itch". If not and if all you need is something to tell you what the Windows PID is for a particular Cygwin PID, you do have 'ps' as well, as you've noted above. It's also worthwhile to note that Cygwin PIDs differ from Windows PIDs only when there is a need to 'fork'. Since Windows doesn't do this and 'bitgen' is clearly a Windows app, the "two" PIDs will match in this case and will be the Windows PID, if that helps you.

Holliston, MA 01746