cygwin path issue

Hey
i am using cygwin for compiling one of my project on windows machine..
the makefile set the compiler but did not define any path..
path to the compiler position is added in the PATH variable. now when
running make it shows the error:
c:\usr\local\sce\gcc\bin\g++: No such file or directory.
But the file is there at this path.
What i get from my research that when reading the above path, it reads it as
a unix path and thus not read the "\".
.
I am not getting how to define the PATH so that it will pick the compiler
file.