Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

FrÃdÃric Bron wrote:
>>> rxvt-x -> TERM=rxvt-cygwin
>>> rxvt-native -> TERM=rxvt-cygwin-native
>> That's the problem.  /etc/termcap has an entry for rxvt-cygwin-native,
>> but not for rxvt-cygwin.  What you want in that case is just
>> TERM=rxvt.
>>
>> Not sure where the bug is.  Either rxvt is setting TERM wrong, or you
>> have something in your shell initialization that's overriding it, or
>> /etc/termcap is missing an alias for the entry.

As the default termcap already includes an entry for rxvt-cygwin-native
as a convenience for cygwin users, it should probably be updated to also
include an entry for rxvt-cygwin.  The three entries:

rxvt
rxvt-cygwin-native
rxvt-cygwin

differ only in their ACS (line draw) character string, which only works
if you're using an OEM-recoded font...so, using TERM=rxvt is probably
good enough for both variants, for most people.  (I know of only one
OEM-recoded font: "Lucida ConsoleP")

> Its a fresh new install! Nothing about TERM in .bashrc, nor in .bash_profile.
>
> I just have the following in my .Xdefaults:
> Rxvt*termName: rxvt
> Looks like it is ignored.
>
> So is it a bug?

Maybe, but maybe not.  Rxvt looks for the .Xdefault using the following
construction:

getenv("HOME") + "/.Xdefaults"

It does NOT use getpwent() to figure out your home directory from
/etc/passwd.  Therefore, if you start rxvt "fron Windows" (e.g. using a
shortcut), then Rxvt can find ~/.Xdefaults ONLY if you have set %HOME%
using the Windows Environment settings tool.  My guess is that on your
brand new installation, you haven't done this -- so the behavior is
expected.

--
Chuck