Re: Installing Cygwin without using setup

breaks wrote:
Hi.
I was wondering would it possble to install cygwin without using the setup
included with the download.
I'd like to to just put it on the file system and then add it to a local
path so that I can control when I use it rather than installing it and it
being on my complete windows OS.

Cygwin is only added to your Windows environment path if you place it there. So, unless I'm misunderstanding you, the problem you think you have is not a problem with how the Cygwin installation works.

I know it uses it's own DLLs but I was wondering would this arrangement
still be possible?

To install manually, you need to duplicate what "setup.exe" does. To do this properly, you need to have access to Cygwin tools (thus the "chicken and the egg" problem that lead to the development of "setup.exe" in the first place) or really know what you're doing. None of this is encouraged, since it requires more understanding than the normal user has. And, as such, it's not a supported process by this list, meaning you're on your own when it comes to any problems that may result. But, like I said above, I think you don't need to go this route to get what you want. Just pull Cygwin out of your Windows environment path.

Holliston, MA 01746