Re: [1.7] Proposal: the filename encoding in C locale uses UTF-8 instead of SO/UTF-8

On May 14 04:13, IWAMURO Motonori wrote:
> 2009/5/14 Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>:
> > I already wrote that patch, see
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2009-q2/msg00066.html
> > It seems to do what you are proposing.
>
> I read it and built cygwin1.dll. It seems to work correctly.
>
> Should the following part not be modified?
>
> winsup/cygwin/fhandler_console.cc:
> > dev_state->con_mbtowc = __mbtowc;
> > dev_state->con_wctomb = __wctomb;

I'd rather not.  It only affects the console and if LANG=C I'd rather
see the single bytes which make up the path instead of the corresponding
UTF-8 character.

> But I think the patch solves only the case of UTF-8 in the thread
> starting at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00245.html.
>
> It is necessary to separate the following variables for the library
> and for the system to support encoding that is not UTF-8.
>
> - __mb_cur_max
> - lc_ctype_charset
> - __mbtowc
> - __wctomb

I understand what you're up to, but right now I'm not really sure that
this is the way to go.  I had this idea as well at one point, but,
thinking about it, I see a couple of potential problems.  I don't want
to decouple the libraries' idea of a string from the application's idea.
I tried various scenarios with the current solution and they all worked
ok, one way or the other.  I'm sure there are still some which don't
work, but before doing what you propose, I'd rather see explicit
failures.  And have some time to discuss whether these are something the
user can or even should fix or workaround alone.

Corinna

Red Hat