Re: Bash initialization w/cygwin-1.7 on NT4

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 12:32:16AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 05:20:41AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>>Jerry DeLisle wrote:
>>> I am making the switch to 1.7.  I started with a clean windows (nt4)
>>> environment and went through the usual run of setup-1.7 downloaded today.
>>>
>>> All appears fine, but bash does not get initialized.
>>>
>>> pwd is /usr/bin
>>>
>>> path is not set
>>>
>>> home directory is not created
>>>
>>> These are all taken care of nicely for the user with cygwin 1.5
>>>
>>> I think this is a bug unless I am missing something in the install process.
>>
>>This is symptomatic of a problem preventing the postinstall scripts
>>from having run correctly, isn't it?  Have a look in your
>>/var/log/setup.log* files, and see what happened to
>>base-files-profile.sh.
>
>I can actually duplicate this problem on my NT4 virtual machine.
>Unfortunately, I won't have a lot of time to track this down next
>week but I'll get to it if no one else beats me to it.

I just checked in a fix for this.  It was a pretty embarrassing bug.
For some reason, I had decided that it was ok not to check the error
return value from an Nt* system call.  At least it was an easy fix.

For the curious, I debugged it by doing this:

set CYWGIN=error_start:gdb

When gdb popped up, the stack trace led me straight to the problem.

I am generating a new snapshot now but, given the nature of the problem,
I'm not entirely sure how to suggest using the snapshot to fix the
problem.  I guess one thing you could do is just rerun all of the
post-install scripts after installing the snapshot cygwin1.dll.

cgf