Re: Full 1.7 Install -> "Insufficient disk space to repair security descriptor at index $SII for file 9"

Something very strange is going on. It happened on the second system also. I did a full Cygwin 1.7 install on the HP Media Center PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition at the lab and got the same results. After the install I pulled up a console and did a uname -a to make sure what version was installed. Then I rebooted and the system came back up fine. Then I scheduled the chkdisk and rebooted so it could run, and there it was, bad index $SII and $SDH on file 9 again, after which the system gets to the windows startup screen and then returns to POST. So it seems likely that the chkdisk is what is eating the system after the large amount of data from a full Cygwin 1.7 install probably tickles some bug in the Windows/NTFS code. As I recall, this system had the original 250GB NTFS partition resized with Gparted and then Ubuntu was installed in the free space thus created. Recently the Ubuntu install was overwritten by Fedora Core 11 before I got the system. When I booted up Windows it immediately started downloading lots of patches and I made sure it was fully patched to SP3 with every thing Windows Update wanted before I did the Cygwin 1.7 install. Maybe some very recent update from Microsoft is responsible. This box also has a restore partition so I went though the magic F10 sequence for this box to reload windows and can do more testing if it is deemed useful. If I'm the only once seeing this then it probably has something to do with resizing or moving NTFS which might be worth a warning note somewhere. I will speculate that Cygwin has been getting bigger as packages are added and maybe it recently went over some threshold of size when everything is installed at once by clicking the top "Default->Install" line of the installer window. I'll try the incremental install workaround and see if it avoids the problem.

Steve