[ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-51

Hi folks,

I just uploaded a new Cygwin 1.7 test release, 1.7.0-51.

The list with the changes related to the previous test release 1.7.0-50
is attached below.

                        IMPORTANT NOTE

-51 adds code which influences the way shell scripts are started.
I strongly advise that you update to the latest setup-1.7.exe, version
number is 2.637, from before installing
this latest Cygwin test release.

Cygwin 1.7 is a major jump from Cygwin 1.5.x.  The list with the changes
related to Cygwin 1.5.25 is part of the User's Guide now:

1.7.0-51 is supposed to be the last test release.

Just download and use that setup tool
to install Cygwin 1.7.  As usual, please report bugs and problems to
the mailing list cygwin AT cygwin DOT com.

We have a new User's Guide for 1.7, which is currently located at

We now have new API documentation

And we have a new FAQ, though very likely not quite complete since
we still don't know what exactly *is* a FAQ related to Cygwin 1.7.

I'd like to encourage everyone to give 1.7 a shot.  Due to internal
changes it is possible to install a 1.7 release in parallel to a 1.5
release and even run 1.7 processes in parallel to 1.5 processes.

* The processes will not know about each other!  Any try to interact
* between 1.7-based and 1.5-based processes will lead to, at least, funny
* results.

To install a 1.7 release in parallel to a 1.5 release, all you have
to do is to choose another root directory (for instance: C:\cygwin-1.7)
in setup-1.7's "Choose Installation Directory" dialog.

* NOTE: Due to the way setup-1.7 works, you have to change the directory
* right the first time you visit this dialog!  If you pressed the "Next"
* button and then "Back" again, it's already too late and setup-1.7 will
* create a broken 1.7 install.  If you pressed "Next" by mistake, exit
* setup-1.7 and start it again.

What's new in contrast to 1.7.0-50

- Performance tweaks for pipes and sockets.

- Revamp select() implementation to simplify code and to reduce
  CPU and memory usage.

- New BSD compatible functions mkstemps, fpurge.

- Improve tty handling when a process is debugged.

- Workaround Windows 7 bug when trying to create invisible console.

- Only execute shell scripts which have the execute bit set.

- Allow user context switch in domain environments even if domain
  controller is not available.

- Fix handle leak in user context switch on Windows Vista and later.

- Several reliability improvements to pipes.

- Fix a potential SEGV on NT4.

- Add code to deal correctly with C++ memory allocation starting with
  G++ 4.

- Fix longstanding bug in synchronization primitives.

- Fix bug in stat/fstat/lstat which results in partialy incorrect
  results for files with long pathnames.

- Fix bug in signal processing.

- Q: How do I know that I'm running Cygwin 1.7.0-51?

  A: The `uname -v' command prints "2009-07-13 10:28

Have fun,

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

Cygwin Developer
Red Hat, Inc.