This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-51
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:46:14 +0200
- Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-51
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
I just uploaded a new Cygwin 1.7 test release, 1.7.0-51.
The list with the changes related to the previous test release 1.7.0-50
is attached below.
-51 adds code which influences the way shell scripts are started.
I strongly advise that you update to the latest setup-1.7.exe, version
number is 2.637, from http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe before installing
this latest Cygwin test release.
Cygwin 1.7 is a major jump from Cygwin 1.5.x. The list with the changes
related to Cygwin 1.5.25 is part of the User's Guide now:
1.7.0-51 is supposed to be the last test release.
Just download http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe and use that setup tool
to install Cygwin 1.7. As usual, please report bugs and problems to
the mailing list cygwin AT cygwin DOT com.
We have a new User's Guide for 1.7, which is currently located at
We now have new API documentation
And we have a new FAQ, though very likely not quite complete since
we still don't know what exactly *is* a FAQ related to Cygwin 1.7.
I'd like to encourage everyone to give 1.7 a shot. Due to internal
changes it is possible to install a 1.7 release in parallel to a 1.5
release and even run 1.7 processes in parallel to 1.5 processes.
* The processes will not know about each other! Any try to interact
* between 1.7-based and 1.5-based processes will lead to, at least, funny
To install a 1.7 release in parallel to a 1.5 release, all you have
to do is to choose another root directory (for instance: C:\cygwin-1.7)
in setup-1.7's "Choose Installation Directory" dialog.
* NOTE: Due to the way setup-1.7 works, you have to change the directory
* right the first time you visit this dialog! If you pressed the "Next"
* button and then "Back" again, it's already too late and setup-1.7 will
* create a broken 1.7 install. If you pressed "Next" by mistake, exit
* setup-1.7 and start it again.
What's new in contrast to 1.7.0-50
- Performance tweaks for pipes and sockets.
- Revamp select() implementation to simplify code and to reduce
CPU and memory usage.
- New BSD compatible functions mkstemps, fpurge.
- Improve tty handling when a process is debugged.
- Workaround Windows 7 bug when trying to create invisible console.
- Only execute shell scripts which have the execute bit set.
- Allow user context switch in domain environments even if domain
controller is not available.
- Fix handle leak in user context switch on Windows Vista and later.
- Several reliability improvements to pipes.
- Fix a potential SEGV on NT4.
- Add code to deal correctly with C++ memory allocation starting with
- Fix longstanding bug in synchronization primitives.
- Fix bug in stat/fstat/lstat which results in partialy incorrect
results for files with long pathnames.
- Fix bug in signal processing.
- Q: How do I know that I'm running Cygwin 1.7.0-51?
A: The `uname -v' command prints "2009-07-13 10:28
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Developer mailto:email@example.com
Red Hat, Inc.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple