Re: volinfo (was: MVFS results)

On Jul 15 20:23, Eric Blake wrote:
> Charles Wilson <cygwin <at> cwilson.fastmail.fm> writes:
>

> > Eric Blake wrote:
> > > Also, volinfo is such a helpful debug utility; should we go ahead and add
> it to
> > > the utils directory, and compile it alongside other tools like cygcheck as
> part
> > > of the base package?
> >
> > It's already in the csih package, under /usr/lib/csih/ but if you want
> > to "promote" it to src/winsup/ that's fine. When/if that happens, we'll
> > need to coordinate the release of cygwin-1.7.x-y and the new csih.
>
> Oh - that's why I didn't find it - csih renamed it to getVolInfo, and it is not
> part of the default PATH.
>
> And if we DO want to promote it,

Nah.  It's ok as a herlper tool, but it's not worth to be put into
winsup/utils.  Maybe as part of cygcheck, but even if so, not now.

>  let's at least make sure --help gives
> something useful ;)
>
> $ volinfo --help
> ZwOpenFile(\??\C:\cygwin\home\eblake\zsh\--help) failed, c0000034

This *is* useful!  C0000034 is STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND.  What
do you need more?  It's always better to see an NT status code than
a Win32 error code since the NT status codes are more detailed.

Corinna

Red Hat