Re: maximum number of cygwin processes per user?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Faylor"

The process limit is 256 per program. You should see an EAGAIN errno being set if the process limit is hit. The overall per-user process limit is controlled by Windows.

Hmmm don't quite follow you there Chris, could you elaborate on what you mean by "per program"?

I'm still trying to determine an error message, I see the new process
being created but it never gets to the first print. This is a perl thing
again so I'm wondering if there are more issues in addition to the SEH
one being discussed in the other thread.

One thing I have seen even with this compile of perl with threads disabled
is a process fork where the created process almost instantly take 2GB.
The forking process then seem to timeout the creation and fork again
and again... Using all memory and cpu in the process over an extended
period of time.

Unfortunately I've not managed to identify a real test case for this
as it seems to happen most frequently when installing new perl modules
via CPAN.

Also noticed that on 2008 64bit, rebase issues are VERY common, something
I've not experienced on XP. I wonder if this has something to do with
what's described as "Address Space Load Randomization" in process explorer?

   Regards
   Steve