Re: Odd directory created when installing 1.7

On Jul 28 01:45, Cliff Hones wrote:
> I installed 1.7 today for the first time, having deliberately waited
> until near the end of beta testing out of cowardice (no; actually
> because my use of Cygwin isn't that great at the moment, is not
> particularly unusual, and unfortunately I've not had the time I'd
> like to devote to tracking down bleeding-edge problems).
>
> I must say I was very impressed - it installed with no obvious problems
> and everything seems to be running well.  I know a lot of hard work
> has gone into this, both from the core developers and the many package
> maintainers.  Well done to all.
>
> Just one minor quirk I've noticed so far.  Pardon me if it's known; I
> didn't spot it in the mail archives.  I installed in parallel with
> an existing 1.5 installation, so installed with root set to C:\Cygwin1.7.
> After the installation completed, I had a directory named "C:"
> at the the top level of my C drive, and under it directory Cygwin1.7\dev
> (which was empty).  dev has also been correctly created under the real
> root.  I see nothing relevant in the install logs, nor cygcheck output,
> though I'll gladly supply these if useful.

This is really weird.  Does the name have a "real" colon in its name, or
does it use the replacement char in the 0xf0xx range instead?  Or, in
other words, when you look at it with Windows Explorer, is the second
char really a colon or just some black block or something like that?

Please send your setup.log.full file.  Maybe there is something pointing
to this effect.

Corinna

Red Hat