Forward slashes in path and pipes

Found out a funny thing about Cygwin today. I've known for a while that forward slashes works as well as backslashes when specifying a path to execute. So all of the following work from a cmd prompt:

C:> C:\Cygwin\bin\ls
C:> C:\Cygwin/bin\ls
C:> C:/Cygwin/bin/ls

Also the following works:

C:> C:\Cygwin\bin\ls | more

However the following fails:

C:> C:\Cygwin/bin\ls | more

It fails with something like "C:\Cygwin\bin not found" (From memory).

What does this have to do with Cygwin you say? Well I recently had to figure out the Window's path for Cygwin's bin, actually /usr/bin and what I got back from the registry was something like D:\Profiles\<userid>\Cygwin<ver>/bin. Note that a default install of Cygwin included a path that included a forward slash. Of course what I was trying to do was a gzip piped to tar -tf -. To my utter surprise the forward slash caused this all to fail.

Thoughts?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Very funny Scotty - now beam down my clothes.