Re: [1.7] cygwin allows writing to readonly files

On Aug 10 17:19, Alexey Borzenkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> $ echo foo >test.txt
> $ chmod 0444 test.txt
> $ echo bar >test.txt
>
> This succeeds, even though the file is readonly, and permissions don't
> allow writing to the file. What's even stranger is that other programs
> (i.e. Notepad and other editors) can't write to this file, because
> there are no writing permissions on the file. How does cygwin 1.7
> manages to bypass NT permissions in this case?
>
> Currently this breaks ExtUtils::MakeMaker, because it expects readonly
> files not to be writable and test fails.

That's a bug in your testsuite.  I assume you're running the tests as
administrator, right?  Administrators have the right to write to all
files, even R/O files, according to POSIX rules.  Your test would fail
on Linux as well, if you're running it as root.

Corinna

Red Hat