No etc/passwd (was) Re: (everything!) command not found

I figured out my old problem, but now I have no /etc/passwd. How do I create one?
I'd use vi, but I don't know what one should look like. Is there an example somewhere?

In case anyone else ever needs this, if you install cygwin, then get command not found
for everything, you need to:
click on "Computer" -> Properties -> Advanced System settings (on the side bar)-> Environment Variables.
Under user variables, add a new environment variable, called CYGWIN_HOME and set its value to C:\cygwin
Under system variables, edit the PATH environment variable and add C:\cygwin\bin.
Click okay, and restart cygwin. (Thanks to Sudipta Chatterjee)
(In case anyone else searches the archives for a solution to this problem).
-Debra