Re: 1.7: cygrunsrv and google desktop search (was: cygrunsrv will not start services most of the time)

Jonathan Manning wrote:
> I've been tearing my hair out for weeks trying to get sshd running
> again after it stopped working. Came across this old thread on cygwin
> discuss from 3/26/09 describing the same problem but no resolution.

> Cause: Google Desktop Search's AppInit_DLL. This injects their DLL
> into every process in order to attach to programs like IE for
> indexing.  Remove GDS, or clear the value of the registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs

> Not sure if cygrunsrv can do anything to avoid getting stepped on
> here. If you need more details, let me know. Hopefully this helps
> someone else.  In the meantime - GDS == gone. I need my cygwin.

  Thanks for the report.  We do have Google Desktop listed on the BLODA, but
only in the new FAQ for Cygwin 1.7; the old FAQ isn't updated any more.

    http://cygwin.com/1.7/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

    cheers,
      DaveK