subversion hangs on svn up using 1.6.4 & 1.6.5

I'm not sure how to diagnose this problem, as svn up produces no
output and svn admin recover says:

svnadmin: Expected repository format '3' or '5'; found format '10'

I imagine that the format 10 indicates that the repository is corrupt.
 Do you have any suggestions for repairing it?

There's some possibility that subclipse was what created this working
copy, though I was pretty sure I used Cygwin SVN to update it most
recently.  I tried svn up with Cygwin SVN 1.6.4 and then upgraded to
Cygwin SVN 1.6.5, both hang with no output.  Then I tried svnadmin
recover .svn which gives the message above.

If there's not a clear path to repairing my working copy, do you know
of any guidance for moving work from a broken working copy to a new
checkout so that svn up will merge changes/flag conflicts?

Thanks!